Soup is such an easy and filling side dish that will last you for a weeks worth of meals.
MAKE IT A WEEKDAY MEAL! The best thing about making a big batch of warming soup is that you can put half in the fridge for the week and freeze the other half in portioned containers. And when you’re in a pinch and in desperate need of a delicious warming meal, you can defrost the soup the night before.
This delicious and creamy butternut squash soup is very simple and has only 5 ingredients (2 of which are spices).
MAKE IT A COMPLETE MEAL! Because this soup is so wholesome, you can even add grains like quinoa or brown rice, veggies like broccoli or kale and protein like edamame or lentils to make more of a complete meal.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 5 cups of stock
How to Make:
- Add either a tablespoon of water or coconut oil to a large pot
- Cook onion on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened for about 10 minutes
- Peel, cube and seed the squash (save the seeds for baking which can be used as a garnish)
- Add squash, cinnamon, nutmeg and stock
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, 12 to 15 minutes
Pumpkin Seed Preparation:
- When the soup is simmering, rinse the seeds and dry with a towel
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Toss in 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil and add any spices that you would like – salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, etc.
- Lay out on a baking tray and bake for about 10-15 minutes until lightly golden
- You can either enjoy the pumpkin seeds solo or add more depth to the soup and use it as a garnish