SPELT is an ancient grain that is high in protein, fibre and B vitamins. Spelt flour is quite versatile and can be substituted 1 for 1 for whole wheat or white flour. It has a nutty flavour and makes for a delicious pizza crust. This is my go-to pizza crust recipe and is super easy to whip up in time for an impromptu pizza night.
The tomato sauce for this pie was inspired by My New Roots delicious tomato sauce (see recipe below). I also sautéed onions and topped with goat’s cheese and arugula. You can improvise and choose your favourite toppings!
Spelt Pizza Dough
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tbsp. of dry oregano or other spices
- a touch of salt
How to Make:
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add water and mix until dough is a sticky consistency
- Roll on parchment paper lightly dusted with flour
- Poke holes with fork
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375
- Add sauce or pesto and toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes
- knob of coconut oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can whole, organic tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- pinch of cayenne, if desired
- 1-3 dates (coconut nectar or maple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp. nut butter or tahini
- 4 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1½ Tbsp. lime juice
How to Make:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt oil and add all spices. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about a minute. Add onions, a couple pinches of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another couple minutes. If the pot gets dry at any point, add a little of the tomato juice from the can.
- Pour canned tomatoes into the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a blender. Add pitted dates, cacao powder, nut butter, lime juice and a couple tablespoons of the water. Blend on high, adding water to thin as needed, until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste.
- I froze half of the sauce and kept the other half in the fridge for up to one week.