Food is nourishing on so many levels. In addition to physical nourishment, food prepared with delicious ingredients has the power to heal us emotionally as well. Cooking with friends and family When you actually have a hand in preparing the food, the experience is heightened. Preparing a meal with family and friends also helps to strengthen the relationship that you have with that person. Plus, it creates some lovely memories.
This pizza crust is gluten-free, and has a great source of healthy fats and is a great source of energy production. My favourite thing about buckwheat is that it contributes to blood sugar control, meaning that it helps lower blood glucose and insulin response. Buckwheat is also very filling and a great source of carbs.
A friend of mine introduced me to the Gluten-Free Almond & Buckwheat Flour Pizza by oh she glows and I am oh so thankful for the introduction! This is my third time making in the past three weeks and it’s been a great dinner to make for guests. Each time I make it for my guests, it’s been such a huge hit.
- 1.5 cups almond flour, made from ground raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw buckwheat flour, made from ground raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs or dried herbs (I used oregano, thyme, parsley)
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 whole organic eggs or 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water, mixed) or
- 2-3 tbsp water, as needed
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, optional
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well with hands until you can form a ball.
- Place ball of dough on a non-stick mat or on parchment paper. Place another mat or more parchment paper over top. With a rolling pin (or empty wine bottle), roll out the dough until it is as thin as you can get it. Transfer to baking sheet and spread on a couple cloves of roasted garlic (optional).
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 15-17 minutes until golden along the edges. Remove to cool slightly.
- Pre-baked crust (above)
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- Goats Mozeralla, as much as you want
- 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped herbs – basil, arugula
- Any other roasted veggies that you like
- Spread the sauce onto pre-baked crust. Sprinkle on cheese, fresh herbs, and roasted veggies.
- Bake for 2-3 minutes. Slice and serve immediately. I served this with a big hemp-heart vegan caesar salad to round out the meal.
- In order to get the pizza crust really crispy, I usually divide half of the dough and bake it on two different baking sheets.